Saturday, December 24, 2011

Walking in a Winter Wonderland

IMG_2158

This week we took a trip to Frankenmuth, Michigan.

Mostly so my little man could see Santa, but we also were pretty excited to see all the pretty Christmas decorations.

It’s such a special town. If you live in Michigan, I’m guessing you’ve already added it to your list of winter traditions, or at least seen the billboards.

They have tons of gift shops, fancy chicken dinners (if you like that sort of thing), and of course Bronner’s. A Christmas lovers dream.

 

But before I get into that, I want to tell you what else we did this week.

Unfortunately, we had to make a trip to the emergency room for our first real injury.

IMG_21341

My poor guy tripped and fell on a leg of one of the dining room chairs. Ryan had just gotten home from work. He was so excited to see his daddy, and was running as fast as he could to meet him at the front door.

Having a little boy, I kind of knew something like this might happen in the future.

Remembering my own bruised knees, and childhood bee stings, I of course want to spare him the same pain. And although, a part of me knows being a good mom means letting him take risks, and be the one to fall down, and get right back up; the protective mama in me doesn’t like it.

But this was no bruised knee, no bee sting, it was a real injury.

When he fell, he landed on his shoulder, and was very shook up by the whole thing. 

Seeing your child in pain is never something a parent is ready for. I stayed strong, but man, my heart was breaking. I had to do the hardest thing of all: hug him, listen to him, tell him I know it hurts- but ultimately, do nothing.

After talking with the doctors and getting some x-rays taken, it was determined that his collar bone is broken.

We thought this might be the case. Ryan had broken his the first time he went snowboarding, so he kind of knew what to look for. (I’ve never broken a bone, so unless it was an obvious sign of trauma, I wouldn’t have a clue.)

The good news is that he doesn’t need to wear a cast, or to have surgery. It will pretty much heal on it’s own. He will just need to wear a sling for about 2 weeks.

I’m thankful that’s all it is, but I think I may need to keep him wrapped in bubble wrap from now on.

Thanks a lot 2011, you big jerk.

 

************

The Man With The Bag /  [aka – Santa Claus]

IMG_2116

[So anyway, like I was saying…]

This week went to Bronner’s to go see Santa.

IMG_2119

IMG_2124

First of all it’s FREE.

IMG_2127

AND, they let you take your own pictures.

Which I love.

IMG_2129

Because, isn’t this awkward enough?

I mean, yeah, kids are super excited about meeting Santa.

But let’s be real, they do not know this person. 

IMG_2130 

I can totally understand the pictures of kids that are screaming and looking like, Who the hell is this?

IMG_2131

The guy promises to bring them presents, and yes, they’ve seen his picture,  but really anyone could do that. Distant relatives do that.

My third cousin on my mothers side, once removed (who I see about once a year), can get me all the gifts he wants, that doesn’t mean I wanna sit on his lap and smile.

IMG_2133

It’s true, I find this whole picture with Santa thing quite awkward, and I’m not even the one that has to do it.

IMG_2135

So, yes, I really do appreciate them letting me be the one to say:

“Okay, SMILE!”, instead of some lady dressed like an elf.

IMG_2138

If you were wondering what he said he wanted:

“A toy.”

Don’t you just love that.

[I think he’s in luck.]

 

*************

 

A Beautiful Sight, We’re Happy Tonight…  walking in a winter wonderland.

IMG_2142

Picnik collage1

Here are the pictures from our trip to Bronner’s.

Grab a mug of hot cocoa, sit back and enjoy the Christmas magic that is floating in the air.

IMG_2238

IMG_2141

IMG_2143

Picnik collage3

IMG_2144

IMG_2149

IMG_2153

{Warming up by the fire.}

IMG_2154

IMG_2152

IMG_2155

IMG_2156

IMG_2157

IMG_2159

IMG_2161

IMG_2163

IMG_2170

{Their neat little Halloween village section.}

IMG_2172

IMG_2167

{They have just about every kind of ornament you could think of. It’s almost difficult for your brain to process the amount of selection they have. It’s sensory overload in that place.}

Picnik collage2

IMG_2178

IMG_2179

IMG_2180

IMG_2182

IMG_2183

IMG_2186

IMG_2191

IMG_2196

IMG_2194

IMG_2197

kIMG_2207

IMG_2208

IMG_2211

Picnik collage4

IMG_2214

IMG_2218

IMG_2222

IMG_2236

IMG_2235

IMG_2233

IMG_2226

IMG_2240

IMG_2241

IMG_2252

IMG_2255

{Even their parking spots are festive.}

 

*************

 

We are currently in AA.  (Alphabet-Lovers Anonymous)

IMG_2257

I know it’s a bit off topic, but I just think it’s so funny how everywhere we go my little man wants to look for new letters.

IMG_2264 

Even on an empty tummy, his coloring time will turn into a letter hunt. It’s too cute.

IMG_2261

 

*************

 

I  know for us, perfection isn’t on our Christmas agenda, but being with family, watching ‘It’s a Wonderful Life’, and making memories is. 

The real embodiment of the holiday spirit is not sugar-sprinkled cookies (although those don’t hurt) and bunches of holly. It’s acts of love and kindness.

This year don’t forget to play Santa yourself, –not only to the ones you love most, but to someone you don’t even know (– or maybe even your third cousin on your mothers side, once removed, who you see occasionally), they might appreciate it more than you know.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas eve, and Christmas day!!

May your holiday be filled with love, traditions and meaningful gifts.

KareyEllen

IMG_2230

No comments:

Swidget 1.0