Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Prelude to Halloween

 

 IMG_1214

This post is more of an introduction to my Halloween post.

IMG_1050

Before Ryan had to leave for Arizona (to attend an upcoming drill, and to do some construction work with his brother), I decided to show him around Hartland, Michigan.

IMG_1047

My home town. My very own tiny dot on the map.

Picnik collage2

I grew up down an old dirt road, in a town I know you’ve never heard of…

IMG_1033

Unless you’re from here, in which case, we probably know each other.  Cause like I said, it’s small.

IMG_1041

Across from the old Cromaine library, and among the historic downtown homes, sits a beautiful cemetery.

And because this is after all, a prelude to Halloween post, I thought I would show you around.

IMG_1036

The big metal gate that sits in the front of it, has always reminded me of the movie Hocus Pocus.

~~~ 

[I think it’s important I show a better picture of the metal gate- and also the background information. - I didn’t take the next two photos – picture source.]

a66a76244aba72134fef198583521b21[1]

4ad7736e22085e6fec31d36ffd13e669[1]

~~~

Image1

I find these places so interesting.

IMG_1037

They are mysterious, yet beautiful.

IMG_1045

Some of the dates go back well into the 1800’s.

IMG_1039

Oh, the stories they could tell.

IMG_1043

Which reminds me…

Just as these gravestones serve as a way to honor and remember those who are no longer with us, so does my costume this year.  I dressed up as a floral, skeleton, inspired by the Mexican holiday day of the dead.  

This holiday focuses on being with family and friends to pray for and celebrate the lives of  friends and family members who have died.

IMG_1038

If you didn’t already know, I have a crush on Mexico, and it’s culture.

So stay tuned for that! And check out my Halloween preview.

 

**********

Baby it’s [getting] cold outside. - Playing in the leaves, one more time.

Moving on to something not-so-spooky.

IMG_1233

Hearing about all of the snow storms that hit the east coast, right before Halloween really made me appreciate our weather here in Michigan.

IMG_1235

Although, notoriously gloomy at times, there isn’t any snow here [yet].

Picnik collage3

And that my friends, is something to be thankful for.

IMG_1239

While we are on the topic of that; November will kick-off a whole month of thankfulness.

IMG_1240

And I’m ready for it.

IMG_1249

This month has been hard on our family.

IMG_1253

But we’ll be okay.

IMG_1263

Our hearts may be healing, but that doesn’t mean we need to stop appreciating all of the good things in life. We can still smile, laugh, and celebrate. And in time these things will start to heal our heavy hearts.

Maybe not all the way. But it’s a start.

Picnik collage4

Hello November.

KareyEllen

IMG_1259

1 comment:

The Favour Shoppe said...

just LOVE your photography!

Swidget 1.0